Home Chadsmoor History

Chadsmoor History

Prior to the 1860’s the area contained only a few cottages but then came the Coal Mines. First the West Cannock group of mines then East Cannock and Littleton Collieries. Each of these mines employed thousands of men (and occasional woman). Chadsmoor became home to many of their families. Now there are 15,000 residents.

While Chadsmoor shopping area has altered little over the years, it is anticipated there will be significant changes when the new “Mill Green” Designer Outlet centre is built situated within the Chadsmoor boundaries.

The railway came in 1858 and all the pits were progressively linked by rail and canal. We lost the Canal system in the 1960’s but many will still remember the coal barges being loaded and transversing to and fro. The rail links to the pits have also now gone, the last being at Littleton in 1990.

Many personalities lived in Chadsmoor. For example the great England cricketer Sydney Barnes died here. A boy from Platt STreet who went from Pit Boy to Liutenant Colonel, Rowland Degg. The author Jonathon Hopcraft lived here as did footballers Stan Collymore, Malcolm Beard and Geoff Palmer. There was also the pioneer railway contractor Francis Piggott who lived in Chadsmoor for almost 40 years.

We are duly proud of our new war memorial on the corner of Burns street. It was dedicated in 2015 by the Bishop Of Wolverhampton and contains the names of over 160 men who came from Chadsmoor and who died in the 1st World War. The History Society fronted the project and in September 2016, we unveiled the plaque to those 43 Chadsmoor men who died in the 2nd World War. Major General John Henderson CB attended the ceremony.

CONTACT

If you would like more information about the Society and activities please do contact us:

Telephone:  01543 423148
Contact: Fill out our contact form.